Hi! I'm Xander, welcome to the website. This page is 'live', and I'll be updating it frequently.
Here's a quick intro.
I'm a 24-year-old living in Sydney, Australia. I was born here, but spent most of my life overseas in Singapore, where I completed primary and high school.
I'm half Australian (Mum), half Japanese (Dad), with an Indian step-dad who has raised me for as long as I can remember.
I'm a fourth year Bachelor of Commerce / Bachelor of Laws student at the University of Sydney, majoring in Finance. Here's a picture from first year... I miss first year.
I currently live at St. Andrew's College within the University of Sydney. Stunning architecture, take a look below
I'm one of only a handful of fourth-year students at the college, since most students only stay for three. In brief, I am
- An academic tutor to commerce students at the college. Having now completed my commerce degree, I am fortunate to be capable of tutoring most finance units
- A member of the college soccer team, which participates in the intercollegiate Rawson Cup
Sports have always been a massive part of my life. I feel like I've played every sport under the sun at some point, but here's a run-down of my current sporting habits:
- Soccer has always been my main sport. I currently play for the University's All-Age Men's First team, and the St. Andrew's College team
- I'm extremely committed to the gym. I try to go five to six times a week. I'll probably do a post about my gym progress and experience
- I'm a fan of running (in peaks and troughs). I am currently in a peak, but the first few months of the year were definitely a trough
Here's my Strava profile if you're also into running.
As a miscellaneous extra, I went up to the Gold Coast for a week in 2019 to represent USyd in 'Uni Games' for AFL. I had never played AFL in my life, and neither had half the team. That was fun.
A summary of my academic journey:
- SCEGGS Redlands: One term of Prep before moving to Singapore
- Australian International School Singapore: Prep to Year 8 [PYP and MYP Programme]
- United World College of South East Asia: Year 8 to Year 12 [IGCSE and International Baccalaureate]
- University of Sydney: Current.
I'm hoping to start my career in Feb 2023 in Investment Banking in Sydney. Fingers crossed!
My brother has been the family musician for as long as I can remember, but I've had my own lifelong experience playing music.
At the age of 12 I started playing the acoustic guitar. Here's a screenshot from one of my early YouTube videos.
I later upgraded to an electric guitar, and took my grade 3, 5 and 7 exams in the Trinity Rockschool programme.
I spent most of my time playing electric guitar, where I learnt more technical pieces, but also spent plenty of time on the acoustic guitar to sing and accompany my brother.
Unfortunately, I haven't spent much time on the electric guitar lately. My acoustic skills are still up to scratch, and I often accompany my brother for live performances at college. It's a fantastic skill to have, and I'm very grateful for my parents' support and encouragement when I was younger.
Miscellaneous (Current) Hobbies
- Making coffee - Recently bought myself a manual coffee maker and a coffee subscription from some fancy place in Melbourne. Seemed legit. The coffee's pretty good, but would probably be better if I knew what I was doing.
- Buying nice tech - warning: I have two monitors and a custom mechanical keyboard. I might list out everything I own in a post.
- Investing - Equities and a bit of crypto
- Design - more of a recent interest of mine. I'm trying to learn Adobe Illustrator to design logos. If this website has a logo, I probably designed it on Illustrator.
- Finance memes - for the uninitiated, I'd recommend following the following Instagram accounts: litquidity, arbitrage.andy, overheardonwallstreet, justthequant
- Poker - I like the strategy and complexity of the game, and it's so much deeper than meets the eye.
[to be continued - there's a lot to put here... almost a lifetime's work]
Things I want to learn in the near future
At Aug 2021
- Olympic Weightlifting - snatch, clean and jerk
- Powerpoint slide design - I'm of the opinion that this would be extremely useful for a career in investment banking, but I don't think anybody teaches it. Somebody prove me wrong pls.
At Dec 2021
- Basic programming for Web3 - While I may never become a full-stack developer for crypto Dapps, I'd love to have a basic understanding of the basic programming architecture for Web3
- Optimising the Brain - I've never been particularly interested by science, but I recently discovered the science of brain function and our dopaminergic system on the Huberman Lab podcast, and I find it fascinating. As someone who is always trying to optimise my performance, this is an area of interest for the coming year.